FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – The Arkansas Razorbacks (3-0) met the Omaha Mavericks (0-2) on the court Friday and completed a full doubleheader sweep, winning all 14 points and dropping just four sets en route to a dominant second win of the season. The Hogs won a few close games late to win the sweep, winning both games, 7-0.
In a game scheduled for January 12, the original season opener for both teams was pushed back nine days after COVID-19 issues within the Maverick program. Arkansas, coming off a season-opening win over Oklahoma State on Monday, was solid early on, dropping just one set in the first nine games.
Freshman Jake Sweeney thrived in his first action as a Razorback, going 2-0 in doubles alongside partner Hunter Harrison and easing his singles match, 6-1, 6-0. Sweeney sprayed a comeback down the aisle to clinch her second doubles match of the day and lose doubles for the day.
“I thought Omaha had a really strong, electric team,” Sweeney said, “but we all came in with a lot of respect for them and got the job done. For me personally, it was a great experience to play my all first college game, and I’m looking forward to the end of the season.
Omaha played the Razorbacks tighter in the doubles rematch, forcing three singles matches in the third sets, but Arkansas fought back late in the afternoon to retire those matches.
“It was a good, long, hard day for us,” said head coach Andy Jackson. “We got a lot out of it with the quality of Omaha and the effort we played with. We can’t wait to do it again on Sunday and then get to the Indoor National Round of 64 next week.”
Arkansas has a short deadline following the rescheduled game and will play in another doubleheader, this one against Illinois State, in Fayetteville on Sunday. The first service is scheduled for 1 p.m. CT.
- Alex Reco (ARK) defeats. Matt Hulme (OMAHA) 6-1, 7-6 (7-4)
- Nico Rousset (ARK) defeated. Davis Lawley (OMAHA) 6-1, 6-0
- Aleksa Bucan (ARK) defeats. Hugo Piles Ballester (OMAHA) 6-2, 6-4
- Adrien Burdet (ARK) defeated. Victor Sklenka (OMAHA) 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (10-3)
- Melvin Manuel (ARK) defeated. Todd Chen (OMAHA) 6-1, 6-4
- Jacob Sweeney (ARK) defeated. Mikhail Korkunov (OMAHA) 6-1, 6-0
- Alex Reco/Nico Rousset (ARK) def. Matt Hulme/Mikhail Korkunov (OMAHA) 6-4
- Adrien Burdet/Melvin Manuel (ARK) vs. Hugo Piles Ballester/Davis Lawley (OMAHA) 3-5, unfinished
- Jacob Sweeney/Hunter Harrison (ARK) def. Todd Chen/Victor Sklenka (OMAHA) 6-2
- Nico Rousset (ARK) defeated. Matt Hulme (OMAHA) 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
- Melvin Manuel (ARK) defeated. Davis Lawley (OMAHA) 6-4, 6-2
- Adrien Burdet (ARK) defeated. Hugo Piles Ballester (OMAHA) 6-1, 3-6, 6-1
- Hunter Harrison (ARK) def. Victor Sklenka (OMAHA) 6-2, 6-4
- Riccardo Trione (ARK) defeats. Todd Chen (OMAHA) 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (11-9)
- Avery Zavala (ARK) defeated. Alvara Quintana (OMAHA) 6-1, 6-4
- Adrien Burdet/Melvin Manuel (ARK) def. Matt Hulme/Mikhail Korkunov (OMAHA) 6-3
- Jacob Sweeney/Hunter Harrison (ARK) def. Hugo Piles Ballester/Davis Lawley (OMAHA) 6-4
- Avery Zavala/Aleksa Bucan (ARK) vs. Todd Chen/Victor Sklenka (OMAHA) 4-5, unfinished